Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Eoin Buggie (Stradbally) delivers a pass in against Crettyard Gaels during their SFC rd 2 game in O'Moore Park           Photo: Denis Byrne

Eoin Buggie (Stradbally) delivers a pass in against Crettyard Gaels during their SFC rd 2 game in O’Moore Park Photo: Denis Byrne

Stradbally 2-16
Crettyard Gaels 0-7

By Pat Delaney

IN the end the score line looked comfortable but Stradbally gave their supporters many anxious moments in the opening half. Ten minutes had elapsed and the scoreboard showed the Gaels leading 0-3 to nil and it took a fine point by the returning Colm Begley to set the wheels in motion.
The Gaels started well and all of their three points came from the boot of Cormac Murphy. Jody Dillon sent over the second for Stradbally in the 15th minute and when Tom Shiel equalised you felt Stradbally had found their touch.
After both missed oppurtunities Kelly edged Stradbally in front in the 24th minute and defender Cormac Delaney kicked an excellent score under pressure.
Cha Dwyer pulled one back for Crettyard but then Paudge Fitzpatrick landed a great point from an acute angle. On the call of time Cormac Murphy landed his fourth and the tri-coloured team trailed by just one, 0-5 to 0-6.
Two minutes after the restart Paudge Fitzpatrick picked out Begley and he doubled the advantage before Fitzpatrick landed his second point two minutes later. Shiel was wide from a free but Cormac Delaney made amends with a spectacular point and after 40 minutes five points separated the teams.
Stradbally were dominating in most sectors, then introduced the talented Gary Comerford and he would have an immediate effect. Murphy pointed a free but from the kick out Comerford got possession and fed a perfect pass to Paudge Fitzpatrick who found Dillon and he hammered the game’s first green flag in the 42nd minute.
Crettyard made several changes but by now they were losing out all over the field. Begley and Comerford added points before midfielder Eoin Buggie scored from distance. John Donoghue got in on the act as Crettyard tried to shore up their defence.
Ten minutes from time Dillon was off on a black card but it mattered little. Long serving Greg Ramsbottom saw out the game in style taking a pass from sub Eamon Conlon and he showed he still has the touch, then added a point.
It is a long time since Christoir Maher had only one point to his credit and that arrived well after the Gaels name had gone into the third round draw. Stradbally are where they want to be and will not fear anyone in next round.

STRADBALLY: Derek Beale; Colin Beale, Liam Knowles, Jamie Kavanagh; Cormac Delaney (0-1), Colm Begley (0-3), Padraig Fitzpatrick (0-2); Darren Maher, Eoin Buggie (0-1); Damian Murphy (0-1), Tom Shiel (0-1), Jody Dillon (1-1); John Donohue (0-1), Conor Delaney (0-1), Colm Kelly (0-1).
Subs: Gary Comerford (0-2) for Shiel (39 m), Greg Ramsbottom (1-1) for Kelly (49m), Eamon Conlon for Buggie (51m), Philip Kelly for Dillon (56m, black card)

CRETTYARD GAELS: Jeff Moran; Ciaran Hosey, Sean O’Shea, Paddy Gorman; Cormac Phelan, Cha Dwyer (0-1), Patrick Brennan; Patrick O’Reilly, James Brennan; Michael Nash, Christoir Maher (0-1), Niall Purcell; Sean Downey, Seamus Dwyer, Cormac Murphy (0-5).
Subs: Conor Barry for Downey (35m), Paul Simms for Phelan (43m), Michael Jordan for Purcell (43m), Jason Dunne for Gorman (55m), MJ Lalor for S Dwyer (50m)

Referee: Eddie Kinsella (Courtwood)

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 57 86 70216

More Laois Sport