A CARLOW man replied “sorry” after being cautioned in connection with the alleged assault of Laois GAA player Daniel O’Reilly.
Two local men appeared before Carlow District Court when charged with the assault causing harm last week.
Brendan Keating (24) of 135 New Oak Estate, Carlow and 20-year-old Tommy Lee Thompson, 49 Springfield Drive, Burrin Road, Carlow both face one count of assault causing harm at Potato Market, Carlow on 2 April 2018.
On Thursday morning, Garda Daniel Ryan of Carlow Garda Station gave evidence to Judge Marian Walsh of arrest, charge and caution of the pair.
Mr Thompson replied “sorry” after being cautioned. Mr Keating made no reply when cautioned.
There was consent to the pair’s bail by gardaí with conditions. The conditions had been canvassed with the defendants and Eamonn O’Moore BL, representing Mr Keating, and solicitor Ed Hughes, representing Mr Thompson, said their clients had no objection to the conditions.
The men were ordered to sign on four times a week at Carlow Garda Station on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. They were not to interfere with witnesses and they must obey a curfew between 9pm and 8am. They were told to provide a telephone number to gardaí and be contactable at all times. They were also to allow gardaí to inspect their addresses to monitor their curfew at any time. The men were also to be of temperate habits in public.
Both defendants were asked by Judge Walsh whether they understood the bail conditions and the consequences if they failed to abide by them. Both individuals said that they did. Legal aid was granted for both defendants. The case was adjourned until 2 May.