Friday, February 01, 2019

BEFORE work begins on Phase 2 of a project at The Square in Durrow, an up-to-date report on Phase 1 should be provided to local councillors.

At the January meeting of Borris-in-Ossory/Mountmellick Municipal District, cllr John King asked for the updated report, particularly the data on overhead infrastructure provided by the ESB.

Senior engineer Farhan Nasiem said: “The council will continue to engage with residents and the ESB to complete Phase 1 of the works. Application to deliver Phase 2 of the scheme has been made. Funding has yet to be confirmed.”

Cllr King said that he has inspected the ongoing work in The Square and for the most part was happy with the progress, but he had a problem “with a few hanging wires”.

He said the works began three years ago.

At the meeting, he told council officials: “Before Phase 2 gets the go-ahead, I would like to see a progress report in Phase 1.”

Director of services Donal Brennan said that funding applications had been submitted to progress Phase 2 but, to date, the council has not received any word on whether or not it has been successful in acquiring the necessary funds.

Comments are closed.

By Joe Barrett
Contact Newsdesk: +353 57 86 70216

More Laois News

Parking charges introduced at council offices