Wednesday, February 06, 2019

THERE was good news last week for people in Mountmellick who are on Laois County Council’s waiting list for housing.

Work is at an early stage in the construction of ten houses on a .825-acre site at Pattison Estate. Plans for the two-storey, three-bedroomed homes come with back gardens and rear-lane access.

At the January meeting of Laois County Council, elected representatives agreed to push ahead with the plan.

The council received four observations to the planned development from the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Irish Water, Thomas Gorry, Pattison Estate and Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI).

The department asked that an archaeological assessment of the proposed site be undertaken.

Laois County Council engaged Colm Flynn Archaeology from Mountmellick to carry out the various assessments. When completed, the reports will be sent to the department.

Mr Gorry expressed concern about the sewer network in the area not being up to standard and that there has been a problem for the past 38 years, which he said the council was aware of. He also said that the proposed development is located on a flood site.

The council’s response was that the sewer network had been given a clean bill of health by Irish Water.

Regarding Mr Gorry’s concern about the proposed development in a flood-risk area, the council response was that a flood-risk assessment had been carried out. The findings made a number of recommendations but concluded that “the flood risk is low” and that … “development of the site is not expected to increase flood risk elsewhere”.

For its part, Irish Water’s submission declared that it had no objections to the development.

Despite the IFI submission being lodged after the closing date for acceptance, the council agreed that some of its suggestions “appear to represent good construction practice”.

The council said that there was “no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment” arising from the proposed development.

Following the approval by councillors at the January meeting, plans for the ten houses now proceed to the next stage of development.

There was no date given as to when people can expect to move into the completed houses.

Comments are closed.

By Joe Barrett
Contact Newsdesk: +353 57 86 70216

More Laois News

Top marks at St Mary’s CBS