Thursday, May 30, 2019

Laois Shopping Centre ACFL Division 1A Rd 8

Dylan Doyle’s goal was crucial in St Joseph’s defeat of The Heath on Friday evening Photo: Denis Byrne


St Joseph’s 1-16
The Heath 2-11

By Jamie Dowling

ST Joseph’s edged out The Heath by two points in a highly entertaining game on Friday night. Dylan Doyle helped himself to 1-3 to ensure St Joseph’s took the points back to Kellyville. The result moves St Joseph’s up to fourth place and leaves The Heath in danger of relegation after losing their last six games.
St Joseph’s nearly got off to a dream start as Brian Daly launched the ball into the full forward line where Jason Campion rose highest but his fisted effort just went wide of the goal. The next passage of play saw Noel Leech come up from defence to give St Joseph’s to the early lead.
The game burst into life in the next ten minutes. After great build up play, Evin Keane fed the ball into Andrew Booth who rifled to the back of the net to put The Heath in the lead for the first time. St Joseph’s responded with four quick-fire points from Dylan Doyle, Brian Daly (2) and Enda Butler to put Joseph’s back into the lead.
From the resulting kick out Joe Walshe played it short to James Phelan and it was moved up the field to Evin Keane whose shot was brilliantly saved by Aaron Cooney only to see Shane Forde latch onto the rebound and score The Heath’s second goal.
The Heath now lead 2-1 to 0-5 and it would be the last time they would lead in the match. St Joseph’s responded again in ruthless fashion.
Brian Daly towered over Shane Forde in the middle of the field and found Dylan Doyle in space and he smacked the ball into the top corner. Leech then added his second point of the game leaving St Joseph’s two points up.
The teams exchanged wides before The Heath scored two points, Chris Bergin from a free and Evin Keane from play.
St Joseph’s would score the last point of the half before Evin Keane was denied a goal by a great save form Cooney.
St Joseph’s added another point straight from the throw in from Connor Kealy.
The Heath then found their range, Shane Forde was through on goal but was taking down with Chris Bergin scoring the resulting free. The Heath then levelled matters after Brian Ging slotted over.
The Heath just weren’t able to get in front and were always chasing the game. Further points from Daly and Enda Butler put Joseph’s two up again.
The Heath drew back level for the third time in the match with further points from Bergin. The game was now there to be won by either team. Again both teams traded points through Keane and Campion.
Then the introduction of Josh Lacey was vital as he scored one and set up two to put Joseph’s three ahead. The Heath couldn’t claw their way back with Andrew Booth adding a late point.

ST JOSEPH’S: Aaron Cooney; Murtagh Condron, Tom Dunne, Jack Lacey; Noel Leech (0-2), Aidan Brennan, Colin Campion; Mikey Dempsey (0-1), Brian Daly (0-5);Bernard Wheatley, Dylan Doyle (1-3) Michael Keogh; Jason Campion (0-1), Enda Butler (0-2), Conor Kealy (0-1).
Sub: Josh Lacey (0-1) for Kealy

THE HEATH: Joe Walshe; Gary Roe, Aidan Bergin, Dylan Kavanagh; James Phelan, Mark Dowling, Conor Booth; Shane Forde (1-0) Robbie Dowling; PJ Daly, Evin Keane(0-5), Robbie Ging; Chris Bergin (0-4), Andrew Booth (1-1), Brian Ging (0-1).
Sub: Jack Delaney for Dowling

Referee: Clifford Ward (Portarlington)

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 57 86 70216

More Laois Sport