Saturday, July 03, 2021

A man who drove through Mountrath at a speed of 100km/ph believing he was being chased by someone who he is under threat from appeared before Portlaoise District Court recently for dangerous driving.

He pleaded guilty to the offence which took place at The Square, Mountrath on 29 January last year.

Garda Sergeant JJ Kirby told the court that while gardaí were following a car through Mountrath it took off at speed and hit 100km/ph in a 50km speed limit area and saw the car veer across the wrong side of the road before it stopped

He said the 26-year old defendant had no previous convictions.

Defending barrister Suzanne Dooner said that on the night her client “thought that he was being chased by someone he is under threat from and didn’t realise it was the gardaí following him.”

She said that the defendant was now living at another address in Dublin.

Judge Bernadette Owens convicted the defendant of the offence, fined him €200 and disqualified him from driving for two years.

*Names of defendants in court cases are not printed on social media sites but in the Laois Nationalist newspaper that is available in your local shop or online here

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 57 86 70216

More Laois News

Inside this week’s Laois Nationalist

Update on water cuts in Mountmellick