Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Soccer – M.S.L. U/11 East

Portlaoise Town U/11 team which proved too strong for St Aengus on Saturday

PORTLAOISE Town U/11s travelled to St Aengus on Saturday morning for their first outing of the season. On a wet and windy morning both sides had to battle through the conditions for the early kick off.

Portlaoise Town’s squad were coming off an incredible end to the 21/22 season which saw them unbeaten in their final 22 games, with 21 wins leading to a league and cup double in the second half of the season. All players involved last year have returned for the coming season while also adding some new players to increase strength in depth.

Portlaoise wasted no time in picking up from where they had left off last season, and it was one of the new players to the panel, Cameron Agoro, who opened the scoring after just five minutes with a tidy finish past the St Aengus keeper.

A few minutes later Ronan O’Gorman opened his account for the year with a well worked team goal. Portlaoise were looking to press St Aengus at every opportunity and straight from the kick off would turn over possession and O’Gorman would find Zach Bowe who calmly slotted home to give Portlaoise a three goal lead.

Danny Kerry in the Portlaoise goal, who was making his debut for the Town squad, had very little to do in the first half as Harry Ryan and Tafara Zhou held firm in the back line and snuffed out any opportunities St Aengus created. Kian French deployed his full arsenal of tricks and skills as the half went on and constantly had the home defence twisting and turning and would grab a brace just before half time with two great individual efforts. Andy Cash would also get on the score sheet with some quick thinking in the box as Portlaoise took control.

St Aengus were much improved in the second half and were starting to get to grips with the pace of the Portlaoise pressing and their quality passing game but Portlaoise would continue to pour forward.

Flynn Cullen and another debutant in Zulaid Ahmad were having a growing influence on the game, with both players controlling the midfield excellently. Tafara Zhou added the to the score ten minutes into the second half and that was quickly followed by O’Gorman adding his second with a top class finish that left the St Aengus keeper with no chance.

St Aengus continued to struggle in attack with Harry Brady and Nikodem Andrzejkowicz, who was the fourth debutant for the day, anchoring the defence for much of the second have. Brady’s precise passing and Nikodem’s speed and strength were too much to handle for the St Aengus forwards.

Second half goals from French, Bowe and O’Gorman along with a double from Andy Cash saw Portlaoise secure the points. Credit to St Aengus for fighting to the end on a sporting game.

Player of the game: Andy Cash

PORTLAOISE TOWN: Michael Dziewonski, Zach Bowe, Ryan Jacob, Kian French, Harry Brady, Tafara Zhou, Flynn Cullen, Andy Cash, Ronan o Gorman(captain), Harry Ryan, Nikodem Andrzejkowicz, Danny Kerry, Cameron Agoro, Zulaid Ahmad

Coaches: Ruadhri Jacob, Dan Brady, David Glynn

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 57 86 70216

More Laois Sport

First of the semi-final places up for grabs